Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Language of Math

This semester I am student teaching, so I am developing lessons and handouts for the students. As I was creating a worksheet, I came across an issue that we discussed in class about on what level should we talk to the students and on what level do we expect students to be on. The worksheet is for 7th graders and I was struggling with should I write 'what is the measure of the missing angle' or 'what is the missing angle'? What if they do not understand what is being asked of them or why I worded it in such a way? In the end, I chose "what is the measure of the missing angle' because it is the correct mathematical terminology. If we ever want our students to know and use correctly math terminology we should not dumb things down for them but explain to them why we use certain wording. I have to keep this in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment